Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

What I've Read

My rating System:
*****Lawrence Block and Ross Macdonald (THE BEST OF THE BEST)
****Double Thumbs (GREAT!)
***I liked it (GOOD)
**It's not that bad (OK)
*It's Bothering me (BAD)

I have this habit of picking an author and reading all of their books from first to last. I've done this with Lawrence Block, Tony Hillerman, Ross Macdonald, Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Sue Grafton and so on. I've enjoyed reading books this way. But lately I've been reading authors that are good, not great. The latest author I've been reading is Ian Rankin. He's good:

*** Strip Jack by Ian Rankin
*** The Black Book by Ian Rankin
*** Mortal Causes by Ian Rankin
See, good, but not great. Then, one of my favorite authors came out with a new book and reminded me what great was:
***** Hit and Run by Lawrence Block
And it occurred to me, why am I wasting time reading authors that are merely good. I need to find great again. I need to find the kind of book that I can't put down and that I bring in the car with me so I can read at red lights. I love having a book like that. I decided to give Ian Rankin a rest and try out some new authors and and old stand by. I've been fairly successful:
**** Down River by John Hart
**** The Triggerman's Dance by T. Jefferson Parker
**** Cold Pursuit by T. Jefferson Parker
***1/2 Where Serpents Lie by T. Jefferson Parker

2 Comments:

  1. julia said...
    I really wish Ross Macdonald had written more books. As it is, I reread his books every now and then, and they're still great. I'm currently reading David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames. It's very funny.

    I'm going to have to read more T. Jefferson Parker next.
    Street Rat said...
    You really should read Lawrence Block. I highly recommend the Matt Scudder series.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home