Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Something out of Nothing

My special skill is the ability to create something out of nothing. If I want to make a a second hanging bar in my son's closet, I am able to make one using things found around the house (PVC pipe, thick wire and clamps). Done and done. If I want to make a curtain for my son's theater I'm making, I use an old duvet cover, wire and screws. Beautiful. It's my gift. I find joy out of not having to buy anything to make my project happen. The other key is being able to produce the final project in 10 minutes or so. Being painstaking takes all of the fun out of it. My son has figured out this gift and he abuses it to the fullest. He'll say, "mom, can I have an antenna like Bender?" I'll say, "probably" and then I'll figure it out (headband, aluminum foil, a ping pong ball and a glue gun). Adorable. Lately he's been having me outfit his Futurama characters. His favorite episode lately is "Less Than Hero" when Leela, Fry and Bender become superheroes. His favorite is Bender's character, Super King, pictured here:





















He asked me to make a crown for Bender and using things around the house this is what I came up with in about 10 minutes:







Materials used: Sequins, old burgundy pants, old dalmatian puppet and gold material.


Aidan was thrilled. It's fun to be creative with my son. He believes that I can make anything. The other day he asked for a marionette. I told him I didn't know if I could do it. He said, "Sure you can. All you need is string and some plastic." I ended up putting embroidery floss on a long limbed stuffed animal and that worked just fine. No plastic necessary.

After the the Super King success, Aidan wanted me to come up with a costume for Fry when he is Emperor:














This took about 5 minutes:





























Materials used: old burgundy pants (I always mine the Goodwill bag for material), sequins and gold material.

4 Comments:

  1. julia said...
    That is so amazing! Those costumes look really great, just like the originals. You truly have a gift!
    Giggly said...
    Awesome!! They look fantastic!
    Anonymous said...
    The fact that you have Bender AND Fry action figures is truly awesome! ha! :)
    Julieannb said...
    That is truly a gift. I, unfortunately, am the opposite. No vision at all.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home